Christine Allen Merritt
Meet Christy Allen Merritt – Austin Family Law Attorney helping families since 1996.
Christine “Christy” Allen Merritt, Austin Family Law Attorney, has been Of Counsel at Merritt Law since 2004. Christy’s practice primarily concentrates on advocating for children in family law cases, including parental termination proceedings initiated by the Texas Department of Protection and Regulatory Services (Child Protective Services). She also assists with the firm’s day to day practices.
Christy has over fifteen (15) years experience in family law. In addition to being an advocate for her clients in child abuse and neglect cases, she is also a certified family law mediator conducting mediations in divorce, custody and child support matters for other parties.
In her spare time, Christy is an active community philanthropist. She is a current and former member of the following organizations: The Junior League of Austin, Casis Elementary PTA, O. Henry Middle School PTA, Austin High School PTSA, Helping Hand Home for Children – Helping Hand Society, Women’s Symphony League of Austin, Junior Austin Woman’s Club, National Charity League – Hills of Austin Chapter, Kappa Delta Sorority, Catholic Charities of Central Texas – SEEDS Committee, American Cancer Society – Cattle Baron’s Ball Committee, Tarrytown Children’s Center Parent Advisory Council, and St. Austin’s Catholic Church. Christy also enjoys reading, traveling and tennis.
Christy has been married to Chris Merritt since 1998. Together they have three children, twin daughters Ainsley and Annabel and son Hatcher.
- Admitted: 1995, Texas
- Texas State Bar (Member, Family Law Section)
- Austin Bar Association (Member, Family Law Section)
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas – J.D., 1995
- University of Texas at Austin – B.A. English, 1991
- Dispute Resolution Center, Austin, Texas – 30 hour Family Law Mediation Course, September 2001
- Settlement Solutions, Fort Worth, Texas – 30 hour Family Law Mediation Court, February 2004
- Court Appointed Family Law Advocate, Austin, Texas – 40 hour training for Child Protective Services, January to March 2005
- Junior League of Austin – Member 1999 to present; Admissions Chair (2010-11), Coats for Kids Financial Development Chair (2008), Community Assistance & Sponsorship Funds Chair (2007-08), Nominating Committee (elected position, 2007-08), Marketing Council Member-at-Large (2007-08), Researchers Assistant Chair (2006-07), Placement Advisor (2005-06), Community Project Researcher (2004-05), Membership Council Member-at-Large (2003-04), Cookbook Committee (2003-04)
- Austin High School PTSA – 2016 to present; Class of 2020 Booster; Teacher Appreciation Lunch Committee 2016 to present
- O. Henry Middle School PTA – 2013 to present; Teacher Appreciation Lunch Co-Chair 2013-2016; Public Relations Chair (2013-14); Round Up Committee Volunteer Coordinator, 2014; Round Up Underwriting Co-Chair, 2015; 8th Grade Girls Volleyball Team Mom 2015
- Casis Elementary PTA – 2007-2013 and 2015 to present; President-Elect/Executive Board Member (2015-16) ,Volunteer Coordinator/Executive Board Member (2011-2013), Fifth Grade Coordinator (2012-13), Book Fair Co-Chair (2010), Teacher Appreciation Lunch Co-Chair (2008-09, 2011-12), Carnival Committee (2008-2010, 2012, 2015-2016), Lead Homeroom Parent 2008-2013
- Helping Hand Home for Children – Helping Hand Society, Member 2016 to present
- Women’s Symphony League – Member 2007 to present; Board Member/Legal Advisor (2014-17); Teacher Appreciation Party Co-Chair (2014-16); Symphony Ball Belles & Beaux Co-Chair; Symphony Ball Program Ad Chair (2012)
- Junior Austin Woman’s Club – Member 2009 to present; Communications Chair (2013-14), Program Chair (2012-13); New Member Chair (2011-12)
- National Charity League, Hills of Austin Chapter – Patroness Member, 2014 to present; Hospitality Committee, 2014-15; Provisional Committee, 2015-16; Grade Level Advisor for Class of 2020, 2016 to present; Mother-Daughter Service Award in 2015 and 2016
- Catholic Charities of Central Texas – SEEDS Committee (President 2012-13, President-Elect 2011-12), Fundraiser Committee 2010-2013
- Kappa Delta Sorority – Member 1988 to present; Alumnae Province President for Texas (2006-07), Austin Hill Country Alumnae Association President (1998-2000), Austin Area Panhellenic Association Representative (2004-2010)
- Tarrytown Children’s Center – Parent Advisory Council (2011 to present)
- West Austin Youth Association – Volunteer Youth Coach, 2009 to 2012
- Member, St. Austin Catholic Church