Meet Christopher Merritt – Austin Divorce Attorney helping families since 1996.
Austin divorce attorney Christopher “Chris” Merritt is the founder of Merritt Law and in addition to helping his clients through one of the most difficult times in their lives, he provides oversight and management of the firm’s day to day operations. Over the past eighteen (18) years, Chris has worked on behalf of hundreds of families in divorce, custody and child support disputes in Travis, Williamson, Hays, Bastrop and Comal counties. Chris received his Board Certification in Family Law from the Texas Board of Legal Specialization in 2001, the first year that he was eligible to sit for the exam. He was recertified in the area of Family Law in 2006 and 2011.
Since graduating from St. Mary’s University School of Law, Chris has devoted his practice to family law; focusing on helping families in divorce, child custody and child support matters both in and out of court. Chris counsels his clients openly and honestly on the best approach for their individual cases. He vigorously advocates for this client’s positions in negotiation, mediation and, if need be, trial. Chris’ family law practices primarily includes the following types of cases: divorce, child custody, child support, paternity, modification of child support, custody and/or visitation, child support enforcement/contempt, visitation enforcement/contempt, and prenuptial and post nuptial agreements. Chris fights for his clients’ rights at all times in an effort to obtain the most desirable outcome for his clients’ families.
In addition to his practice at Merritt Law, Chris teaches contracts at the University of Texas at Austin Paralegal Program.
Chris has been married to Christy Allen Merritt since 1998. Together they have three children, twin daughters Ainsley and Annabel and son Hatcher.
In his spare time, Chris is an avid sports fan. He attends and follows football, basketball, baseball, volleyball and tennis at the University of Texas. He actively supports his children’s endeavors in competitive junior tennis, volleyball, soccer, swimming and Little League. When not watching his children’s sports activities, Chris also enjoys playing golf and tennis. Chris is also active in supporting children’s sports leagues through WAYA by both volunteering as a commissioner and coach for various sports.
- Admitted: 1996, Texas
- Texas State Bar (Member, Family Law Section)
- Austin Bar Association (Member and Past Chair/Vice-Chair/Treasurer/Director, Family Law Section)
- Williamson County Bar Association
- Texas Academy of Family Law Specialists, Austin Family Law Advocates and The Robert W. Calvert American Inn of Court – Austin, TX
- St. Mary’s University School of Law, San Antonio, Texas – J.D., 1996
- St. Edward’s University, Austin, Texas – B.B.A. Marketing, 1992
- West Austin Youth Association – Volunteer Youth Coach and Sport Commissioner, 2005 to current
- Casis Elementary, Campus Advisory Council, 2010-2013
- Member, St. Austin Catholic Church