The Benefits of Hiring a Board Certified Divorce Attorney in Austin, Texas
While all attorneys licensed to practice law in Texas are able to handle family law cases, a board certified divorce attorney has a substantial percentage of their practice to, custody and child support and has significant experience in dealing with family law cases in the courtroom. Also, in order to qualify to be a board certified divorce attorney, one must have successfully undergone rigorous testing in the area of family law.
Board Certification is a voluntary designation program regulated by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for attorneys and legal assistants. Initial certification is valid for a period of five years. To remain board certified, attorneys and legal assistants must apply for re-certification every five years and meet substantial involvement, peer review and continuing legal education requirements for the specialty area.
To become a board certified divorce attorney in Texas, an attorney must have:
- Been licensed to practice law for at least five years;
- Devoted a required percentage of practice to Family Law for at least three years;
- Handled a wide variety of Family Law matters to demonstrate experience and involvement;
- Attended Family Law education seminars regularly to keep legal training current;
- Been evaluated by fellow lawyers and judges; and
- Passed a 6-hour written examination concerning Family Law.
- Since your case involves issues that are most important to you, your family and/or property, hiring a board certified divorce attorney gives you the peace of mind of knowing that you have a lawyer that is experienced in family law and knowledgeable about any issues that may arise in your case. You can be assured your divorce, custody and/or child support lawsuit will be handled by a lawyer who is more than capable of representing your interests zealously in all stages – from the filing of the lawsuit, conducting discovery to obtain evidence, depositions negotiating with the other party’s attorney, mediation and if need be in court before a judge.
Approximately only 1% of all of attorneys in Texas are Board Certified. Board certified divorce attorney, Christopher Merritt, has been certified since 2001 and has been re-certified for this classification in 2006 and 2011.
Leave a Reply